nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Fwd: Apple - not a grape

  • From: Heron Breen <breen@fedcoseeds.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Fwd: Apple - not a grape
  • Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 19:05:31 -0500

Lon, I wonder if this apple could've been on a handwritten list and
been misread. Judging on the time, the apple Jewet might be Jewel, ie
Jewet's Red or Nodhead. Not sure where this orchard is, but if anywhere
in the greater Northeast/Central, it could be possible. Sometimes
spelled Jewett as well. Tree is usually naturally and noticably smaller
then other standards, almost 3/4 or half size. Often forms a
rounded 'head', which is off-center from the trunk, or leaning. Two old
trees are in my town here in Maine, approx. 80 years old. Fairly common
old variety that a few trees were planted of in many orchards.
Heron Breen
On Sat Aug 28 1:02 , Lon Rombough <lonrom@hevanet.com> sent:

>Does anyone know what the "Jewel" apple is?
>-Lon Rombough
>

>> A friend has access to an 80-year-old orchard. All of the trees were
>> documented by the planter. Most are commonly available today.
However,
>> two
>> are identified as "Jewel". I can find no reference to an old variety
>> by this
>> name. Can you suggest somewhere I can look?
>>
>> Carl

be used to change other email options):