nafex - Re: [NAFEX] "poor soil"

  • From: David Consolvo <fruitopia@nexet.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] "poor soil"
  • Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 17:56:41 -0400

Thanks for that observation. I've been observing much the same. My soil is
a nice dark sandy loam, which is great for mature fruit trees with deep
roots, but which seemed to me limiting for grass and annual garden plants.
However, the last two Springs and Summers have provided steady moisture
throughout the seasons, and during these two years it has amazed me how well
plants such as grass, basil, and tomatoes have grown steadily throughout the
growing seasons. I used to pooh-pooh advocates of irrigation/watering after
only a week or two of no rain, but I can no longer do so, at least with a
sandy loam soil.

David Consolvo
Hungrytown, Virginia
1,250 feet elevation