nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Nafex highlights

  • From: "Doreen Howard" <gardendiva@charter.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Nafex highlights
  • Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 19:48:16 -0500

Mark Lee asked:
> The Pyrus x Sorbus hybrids sound interesting. Where does Joseph Postman
> grow these? Are these fruits the results of his own cross breeding?
> You also mention Cydonia hybrids. What was this species crossed with,
> and were there examples of it in his cooler?

Postman is at the National Clonal Germplasm Repository in Corvallis, OR, and
that is where all the plants are kept in inventory and grown out. These
crosses come from others, I gather, and the repository archives them.
Shipova, the pyrus X sorbus has been in the market for some time. There is
another pyrus X sorbus, but I can't remember its name, and it is at the
repository.

The quince (cydonia) crosses with pears result in pyronia veitchii, also a
plant that is wide-spread. I remember reading that it was developed in
either France or Germany. There are a couple more pyrus X cydonias, too.

The only samples Postman had were the pyrus X sorbus cross, which some
people on this list have identified as Shipova. I've emailed Postman to ask
the cultivar name and will pass it along when he responds.
Doreen Howard
IL-WI Border--Zone 4b, where summer has passed us by. The crimson maples in
my yard are turning red!