nafex - [NAFEX] Plum pollinization

  • From: "Ed Forest" <edforest55@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Plum pollinization
  • Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 13:58:04 +0000

Thank you for directing me to that site on hybrid plum pollinization! Excellent article!

This year was the first year that my hybrid plums, have produced super abundantly, like the pics you see in Gurneys, branches drooping from crop load, large plums every three inches or so.

All plum trees have P americana frames topgrafted to the hybrid plums. I let some P americana branch out lower on the tree so that I could test the fruit and also get extra pollinization.

The P americana, in the first year or two seems to flower out of synch with the hybrid plums. I attribute the abundant crop this year to the blooms of the P amer and hybrids having overlaped for the first time, becoming more in synch as they have grown together. This is just a guess though, I have not formally recorded bloom times. (I neglected to thin any of the plums, but, this was not necessary with Superior which was 50% shaded, overbearing, and still produced large deliciouis, well flavored plums. Monitor doesn't seem to suffer from lack of thinning either).

I also have P besseyi seedlings nearby but they didn't seem to be pollinizeing the hybrids.

The only plum in that area that didn't produce well this year was S Dakota, if I recall it blooms much earlier, but it did crop very well last year, perhaps more in synch with the P amer. than this year)

About 150 ft south of that plum thicket are two large plum trees with very little cropping, there are no native plums down there only another hybrid plum. I suppose they weren't pollinized because they were too far from the very few P americana branches.

A friend of mine up northhas a Pipestone with no pollinizer nearby, it still set fruit, I suspect due to a native thicket about 100 yards away.

Kevin B
zones 3 and 4/5 Wisconsin, north and south

  • [NAFEX] Plum pollinization, Ed Forest, 08/22/2004