nafex - [NAFEX] Invitation to field day at Carandale Farm

  • From: "Brungardt, Sam" <Sam.Brungardt@state.mn.us>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: carandal@itis.com
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Invitation to field day at Carandale Farm
  • Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 12:30:15 -0500

Title: Invitation to field day at Carandale Farm

Dale and Cindy Secher of Carandale Farm are kindly extending the following invitation to NAFEX members who might like to attend the annual field day at their farm, which is in south-central Dane County, Wisconsin, 3-1/2 miles west of Oregon and just 8 miles south of Madison.

The Sechers are conducting trials of uncommon, unusual and little grown fruit crops, many of which are of considerable interest to NAFEXers (see http://www.carandale.com/farmtrials.html). -- Sam Brungardt, St. Paul, Minn. (USDA zone 4b)

We invite you to join us on Tuesday, August 24, 4004, from 12:30-3:30 pm, for a tour of our 2-acre test site where we are evaluating unknown, little known and overlooked fruit crops.

With financial assistance from the Agricultural Development and Diversification (ADD) Grant Program funded by the Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, we are testing 34 fruit types, including 99 cultivars.

The ultimate objective is to determine the feasibility of adding new agricultural products that will add diversity, stimulate the local agricultural economy, create jobs in ag-related industries, contribute to food safety, provide sustainable alternatives, and to introduce new products with unique flavor and high nutricuetical content.  This is the second year of an on-going, multi-year project.  Plants have gone through one winter and have been subjected to intense insect and disease pressure with no pesticide intervention.

Adaptability and horticultural evaluation with no pesticide intervention (sustainability) will be the primary theme of this field day, although some fruiting can also be observed.

Agenda
12:30 p.m.      meet @ site of field trials/treats from the farm
12:45 p.m.      greeting and introductions
1:00 p.m.       walking tour of test site (observations, questions, answers, comments)
3:00 p.m.       wrap-up session

How to get to Carandale Farm:
        From Madison, exit the beltline onto South Fish Hatchery Rd., and continue approximately 8½ miles until Fish Hatchery T intersects with Lincoln Rd.

        Turn right on Lincoln Rd., go ½ mile and turn left on Tipperary Rd.
        Go about ¼ mile to the Carandale sign and turn left onto the entrance road.  We will be meeting at the test site, which will be immediately on your right as you pass the pine windbreak.

(for a map, go to http://www.carandale.com/ContactCarandale.html)