nafex - [NAFEX] Black Walnuts

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jfruth@uslink.net>
  • To: "NAFEX Submissions" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Black Walnuts
  • Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 08:36:01 -0500

    Some years ago I had a walnut tree and no squirrels.  So.......after they dropped, I'd put them on my (gravel) driveway and drive over them until all of the husks were removed.
    I harvest white walnuts (aka butternuts) differently.  I let the squirrels knock them down and carry them wherever.  After all have disappeared, I gather them from beside downed logs, under rock ledges, etc. (all hidden with leaves covering them).  I figure it is a good trade: My tree and the squirrels' work.
    Incidently, I never find more than half of the butternuts.  I suspect that, after the squirrels fill their larder, they hide the surplus for me to find.  In years when there is no, or few, acorns, I don't find any butternuts.

Jim Fruth
Pequot Lakes, MN

  • [NAFEX] Black Walnuts, Jim Fruth, 08/09/2004