nafex - [NAFEX] Grafting tip

  • From: "Joe Hecksel" <jhecksel@voyager.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Grafting tip
  • Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 13:47:36 -0400

Hello all:

Grafting and budding tip of the day:
Make sure the rootstock is well supplied with water for the first
couple of weeks after grafting or budding.

This year has been exceptionally wet for South-Central Michigan. My
batting average for greentip grafting is way up over other, much drier
years. I even whip-and-tongue grafted a persimmon with a leaf attached
and it looks like that rascal took! (Note, the leaf was not hanging
out in the breeze, it was tightly wrapped to the scion with poly film.)

I feel a little sheepish about this observation because it is likely
I "discovered" something everybody already knew. The reason I think
this observation merits posting is because many of us are interested in
minor fruits...and semi-wild trees are often convenient rootstocks for
them. Also, some of us find a more casual, semi-wild environment more
enjoyable than an intensively managed nursery. Consequently, list
members might find themselves trying to use drought stressed rootstocks
more often than professionals. And most literature and research is
aimed at professionals.

--
Joe Hecksel
Personal Webpage http://my.voyager.net/~jhecksel

  • [NAFEX] Grafting tip, Joe Hecksel, 08/06/2004