nafex - [NAFEX] Earwigs

  • From: Lisa Almarode <lisaalmarode@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Earwigs
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 17:29:10 -0700 (PDT)

While I'm not sure DE would do much as a goat
dewormer,
it is somewhat effective at keeping earwigs off of
bean and squash seedlings and chard plants. The
problem is in early spring it gets rained off almost
daily.

The list of earwig predators should, but does not,
include chickens. Chickens like earwigs very much;
the only real drawback is that chickens are not
active at night.

Lately I've taken a cordless vacuum out at night,
it's very effective at removing earwigs (on rhubard,
chard, kale, yarrow, strawflower, coneflower, basil,
mint, and squash). I empty the basket in the chick
brooder, and they are thrilled at the yummy snack
(as long as their nightlight is on and they're awake).

=====
Lisa in Ashland Oregon
USDA Z7 - Sunset Z7 - 1800' - 19" annual rainfall