nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Elderberry Question.......

  • From: Lisa Almarode <lisaalmarode@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Elderberry Question.......
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 11:55:02 -0700 (PDT)

No experience, but some time ago I did some research
on various types of elderberries, this is what I have
in my notes:

"These are the common elders (Sambucus):
S. Caerulea - Blue Elder - native to the western US
S. Canadensis - American or common elder - native to
central/eastern US
S. Nigra - European Elder or European Black Elder -
Europe

These get a little more confusing:
S. Racemosa - Red Elder
S. Mexicana
S. Pubens

In all cases, ripe fruit, particularly cooked, is
fine.

I've found references to S. Canadensis and S.
Racemosa, that
the leaves, bark, flowers, and roots are poisonous.
Roots
and fresh young leaves particularly toxic. Several
mentions
of cases where making juice when some leaves were
crushed
together with the fruit caused nasuea and other
problems
(nonfatal)."

Info on the web was inconclusive, and I'd guess the
assessment would be that it would be okay to eat if
you were careful to remove any leaves or stems, and
to cook the fruit before eating. But please don't
rely on this without consideration! There are lots
of factors and I am not an expert on toxicity.

> Does anyone have experience with Sambucus
> racemosa, the Red Elderberry? Is the ripe, red
> fruit edible? If so, does anyone have any recipes?

=====
Lisa in Ashland Oregon
USDA Z7 - Sunset Z7 - 1800' - 19" annual rainfall