nafex - Re: [NAFEX] third apple for backyard orchard!

  • From: John Bunker <jbunker@gwi.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] third apple for backyard orchard!
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 09:13:31 -0400

Allen,

A couple suggestions about your search.

When people ask me what variety to add to their yard, the first question I
ask is, where do you live? What will thrive in Washington or Ohio or Maine
for that matter is in no way guaranteed to do well in central Massachusetts.
My suggestion to you would be to visit or talk to local growers. One I
would recommend is John Bemis in Concord. He could also lead you to other
growers in your area.

You should also consider checking out Tower Hill Botanic Gardens near
Worcester. They have an excellent collection of about 200 apple varieties
that have been growing in central Mass for 150-350 years. Tower Hill also
has tastings and sells fruit in the fall. Some of the varieties that were
mentioned in recent emails are in their collection.

There is a lot of debate about the relative merit of the newer and
'heirloom' varieties. Some like to say that most of the old varieties are
spitters. At last summers NAFEX meeting Tom Burford agreed. Then he added
that most of the new varieties are also spitters. From my experience, there
are some excellent new varieties and some excellent older ones.

Good luck on your search,

John

*****
John Bunker