nafex - Re: [NAFEX] What to do with all those serviceberries?

  • From: "del stubbs" <pinewoodel@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] What to do with all those serviceberries?
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 14:20:15 +0000

<I was looking at serviceberry (saskatoons) berry content (ph, sugar,
<acidity) and it appears to me they would be great for wine making.
<Tom

I was given a bottle of Juneberry wine by a generous nafexer - and enjoyed it very much.
Be a bit before ours ripen - but my favorite pie is Rhubard/ Saskatoon.
Del

&gt;&gt;Bumper crop of serviceberries this year!
&gt;&gt;We picked 10 lbs today and ran them through the squeezo. Amazing
&gt;&gt;how it
&gt;&gt;gels right after it comes out. Last time we made jam with it (2
&gt;&gt;years ago)
&gt;&gt;and it turned out very well with no sugar and no added pectin.
&gt;&gt;Surprisingly, it did not gel very well once it was canned. Can
&gt;&gt;anyone
&gt;&gt;explain why it would gel at first, but not later after it is
&gt;&gt;canned?
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;Also, any RECIPES or IDEAS for what to do with 10 lbs of squeezed
&gt;&gt;serviceberries? I'm thinking about mixing with red currant juice
&gt;&gt;for
&gt;&gt;tartness, strawberries (b/c we have lots), tart cherries (b/c we
&gt;&gt;have lots),
&gt;&gt;or maybe some of last years frozen black raspberries (a treasure,
&gt;&gt;but it
&gt;&gt;seems like it's time to use them up since they are coming in fast).
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;It seems like they need a little more tartness and a little more
&gt;&gt;sweetness
&gt;&gt;for my taste so maybe mixing them will be good.
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;If anyone needs some seed from them, I've got a ton now. I think
&gt;&gt;most are
&gt;&gt;probably alnifolia or laevis, but there is also some grandiflora in
&gt;&gt;there
&gt;&gt;too. If not, I'll just start a fence row of them with the seed and
&gt;&gt;start my
&gt;&gt;breeding experiment.
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;Mike Levine
&gt;&gt;Ann Arbor, MI
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;_______________________________________________
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;**YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST!**
&gt;&gt;All other messages are discarded.
&gt;&gt;No exceptions. ----
&gt;&gt;To subscribe or unsubscribe, go to the bottom of this page (also
&gt;&gt;can be used to change other email options):
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;File attachments are NOT stripped by this list
&gt;&gt;TAKE STEPS TO PROTECT YOURSELF FROM COMPUTER VIRUSES!
&gt;&gt;Please do not send binary files.
&gt;&gt;Use plain text ONLY in emails!
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;Message archives are here:
&gt;&gt;https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/nafex
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;NAFEX web site: http://www.nafex.org/
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;
&gt;
&gt;_______________________________________________
&gt;
&gt;**YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST!**
&gt;All other messages are discarded.
&gt;No exceptions. ----
&gt;To subscribe or unsubscribe, go to the bottom of this page (also can
&gt;be used to change other email options):
&gt;
&gt;File attachments are NOT stripped by this list
&gt;TAKE STEPS TO PROTECT YOURSELF FROM COMPUTER VIRUSES!
&gt;Please do not send binary files.
&gt;Use plain text ONLY in emails!
&gt;
&gt;Message archives are here:
&gt;https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/nafex
&gt;
&gt;NAFEX web site: http://www.nafex.org/

From ‘will you?’ to ‘I do,’ MSN Life Events is your resource for Getting
Married. http://lifeevents.msn.com/category.aspx?cid=married

  • Re: [NAFEX] What to do with all those serviceberries?, del stubbs, 06/24/2004