nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Persimmon wilt, KSD & Fireblight.

  • From: Heron Breen <breen@fedcoseeds.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Persimmon wilt, KSD & Fireblight.
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 16:52:09 -0500

Pardon my ignorance, but is KSD an issue in Asia? Is anyone doing research on
this
phenomenon? Wondering if my friend's Japanese language skills could be of
use...
Heron Breen
On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 00:29:23 EDT , Jwlehman@aol.com sent:

>Hello all,
>

>It is highly unlikely that there is any connection between Fireblight and
Persimmon Wilt. Fireblight is a fungus, Erwinia Amylovora and Persimmon wilt,
Cephalosporium diospyri. The spraying of agri-mycin and captan and the
symptoms
stopping is likely coincidental.

>The cause of Kaki Sudden Death (KSD) is as some else wrote still unknown. My
personal belief is the shepherd hooking is more a symptom of dying kaki
regardless
of the cause. I've also head reports that KSD was stopped by spraying
Micronutrients and the symptoms appeared. I suspect that too was
coincidental.
Manganese poisoning is still unproven but possible as well as winter cold
damage.
I've also seen reports of KSD on kaki seedlings.  Which would tend to reduce
the
virginiana understock involvement, but not eliminate it's contributing to a
cause
or causes.

>Kelly Jackson from Mississippi planted 550 grafted kaki trees to establish a
commercial kaki orchard some years back. She lives near Memphis, TN just
south of
the Mississippi border. I asked her about Fireblight in her area, here was
her
response:

>>>I know nothing about any [Fire] blight in my area to corollate.
>
>Few of my 550 Jiro and Ichi Kei Kai Jiro persimmon trees are still alive.
>
>The only way one of my  trees lives "with"  their virus is to send up root
>stock.
>
>(Three of the trees that you grafted still live, but they are not Jiro
>Persimmon
trees.)

>It is still my opinion that my orchard does not have American Kaki wilt
>disease.
>
>It has Sudden Kaki Death syndrome, which is totally fatal once the tree is
infected. Some trees just "last" longer than others before total death of the
graft.

>Sudden Kaki Death syndrome is not fatal to the root stock if it is an
>American
cultivar.<<

>The grafts which I made which she writes about was Jiro wood which I
>personally
cut from the UC Davis orchard where KSD never has been a problem. That scion
wood
should have been clean of whatever causes it, if a disease. I grafted some of
them
on American persimmon seedlings located near her dying orchard that have
never
been grafted before, they should have been clean of disease brought on with
contaminated scion wood. They should have lived a few years, but didn't. Most
started showing typical KSD symptoms the following spring.