nafex - [NAFEX] Re: Kaki wilt

  • From: longdistshtr <longdistshtr@shtc.net>
  • To: NAFEX <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Re: Kaki wilt
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2004 17:45:54 -0400

I hope you have hit on something, Rich. One of my kaki trees was promising
a good crop evidenced by all the blossoms but in May it got hit badly and
dropped all of them plus all the leaves in the upper portion of the tree.
Lower limb leaves are still hanging on. This wasn't a fire blight year
here, probably a result of real low rainfall and a warm spring if that
hypothesis is correct. I did lose a pear tree to fire blight two years ago
tho'. The only differences I noticed this year is no plums, high tomato
blossom end rot, very few nashi and other pear blossoms set fruit and low
rabbit eye blueberry yield. Figs are all over most of my bushes (just
harvested my first fig this morning). Also this is the first year in many
that my crab apples sustained insect damage. My juneberries and hawthorne
berries were all destroyed by quince rust.
Maybe there is a connection of kaki wilt to fire blight. I certainly hope
there is. At least we have something to suspect other than "God's Will".
Doc in Zone 7/8

  • [NAFEX] Re: Kaki wilt, longdistshtr, 06/19/2004