nafex - Re: [NAFEX] American Chestnut/ACCF

  • From: Heron Breen <breen@fedcoseeds.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] American Chestnut/ACCF
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 08:16:45 -0500

Ginda, Does this mean they are examining sequences after each successful
fertilization, or that they are using some Genetic Engineering concepts and
practices to achieve this end? In relation to wild breeding populations, an
item
which has not been addressed is hand pollination in breeding has many
downsides.
Natural flower structure differs from flower to flower, with some flowers
being
unable to fertilize under normal conditions. ie insect/wind. Various parts can
have flaws only revealed under a microscope. By hand pollinating the number of
these types of flowers is likely to increase, debilitating the plant in future
generations. This has been recognized first with vegetable
breeding/preservation,
but correlates directly. The other item which I wonder if has been observed is
changes in the flower structure as generations are crossed with Chinese and
then
back-crossed. While obviously related, the flowering parts, timing of
viability,
and continuing allowance of pollen from uncrossed wild trees is of crucial
examination. While these variables may play no role in the outcome with luck,
still wonder whether the Chestnut will ever be more than functionally extinct,
since its habitat niche has been filled by other species in the last 50+
years.
Resistance, not immunity has been the saving grace in other types of plant
breeding. Nature is delicate, is it not...What are the updates on the
spreading
Sudden Oak Death? I lost track of it after the quarritine of nurseries on the
west coast. Any infections yet in the Southern U.S.?
Heron

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 21:31 , list@ginda.us sent:

>Although from what I hear, the American Chestnut Foundation has
>isolated the ~6 genes that determine resistance in Chinese Chestnuts,
>and are backbreeding with American Chestnut to create a hybrid with
>those six genes and nearly nothing else from the Chinese tree. I
>thought it was a neat idea.
>
>Ginda

change other email options):