nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Grafting Questions

  • From: Lisa Almarode <lisaalmarode@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Grafting Questions
  • Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 18:41:38 -0700 (PDT)

I also grafted 8 apples and pears for the first time
this spring.
Some early march grafts are just now deciding to bud
out - at 10 weeks - long after I gave up on them. I
have two I'm still not sure about, but even these
are showing some swelling. Other grafts done at
the same time took just 3 weeks.

I started off by pinching rootstock leaves, but when I

gave up on them I let the rootstocks leaf out.

Anyway, don't give up yet.

> I've tried grafting for the first time this
> spring. I used a splice graft on G-11 rootstock
> with various apple scions. I did this to 10
> rootstocks in mid-April and there are not yet any
> definitive signs of life in the scions. The
> rootstocks have all leafed out and appear healthy.
> The scion wood was probably o.k. as the extra that I
> had stored in the dark basement has pushed out buds.
> Am I 0 for 10 or is it too soon to tell?
> Do I pinch off the leaves from below the graft to
> force the rootstock to try make the scion live or is
> it better to keep the leaves on to maximize the
> health of the rootstock?
> Any other thoughts? What about bud grafting in
> July/August if indeed I am 0 for 10?

=====
Lisa in Ashland Oregon
USDA Z7 - Sunset Z7 - 1800' - 19" annual rainfall