nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Are Grow Tubes okay to use where it gets cold?

  • From: "del stubbs" <pinewoodel@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Are Grow Tubes okay to use where it gets cold?
  • Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 13:33:12 +0000

I can't refer to tubes and grapes, but I did have a lot of grape vine loss from voles this last winter....
I did do an experiment with a type of grow tube on 2' to 4' high grafted apples and pears in the nursery bed this last winter.
I did not have time to get all screen wrapped ( mouse protection) so used a tube around a couple dozen and filled them quickly with soil , all this was done just before freezeup. (after dormancy) I had one rot inside the tube, so perhaps it died for unknown reasons, or the bark could not stand soil contact. I was a bit late geting the soil off of some. The reason for the soil was to avoid the temperature extremes both of our winters - and of any tube exposed to sun in late witer. And to protect from any mice that get in if the snow gets up to grow tube height ( it did).
My conclusion is to continue the experiment on a limited basis next year, and perhaps try peat moss instead.
Del, where the Trailman crab (earliest apple) is showing pink tip on blossoms and other apple's buds are still just swelling.....

Del Stubbs http://www.pinewoodforge.com ag zone2/3

&gt;From: &quot;Rodney Eveland&quot; &lt;reveland@collinscom.net&gt;
&gt;Reply-To: North American Fruit Explorers &lt;nafex@lists.ibiblio.org&gt;
&gt;To: &lt;nafex@lists.ibiblio.org&gt;
&gt;Subject: [NAFEX] Are Grow Tubes okay to use where it gets cold?
&gt;Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 17:13:00 -0600
&gt;
&gt;I have come across websites that state Grow Tubes could cause a plant
&gt;not to harden off enough to survive it's first Winter. Has anyone in
&gt;the Northern States used Grow tubes and had good survival rate for
&gt;their grapes first Winter? I have six new Grapes and six 29&quot; long Snap
&gt;n Grow tubes that I'm itching to put around the new vines.
&gt;
&gt;Rodney in zone 4
&gt;
&gt;_______________________________________________
&gt;nafex mailing list
&gt;nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
&gt;
&gt;**YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST!**
&gt;All other messages are discarded.
&gt;No exceptions.
&gt;----
&gt;To subscribe or unsubscribe, go to the bottom of this page (also can be used to change other email options):
&gt;
&gt;File attachments are NOT stripped by this list
&gt;TAKE STEPS TO PROTECT YOURSELF FROM COMPUTER VIRUSES!
&gt;Please do not send binary files.
&gt;Use plain text ONLY in emails!
&gt;
&gt;Message archives are here: