nafex - [NAFEX] Re: off topic - moving plants

  • From: longdistshtr <longdistshtr@shtc.net>
  • To: NAFEX <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Re: off topic - moving plants
  • Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 10:27:21 -0400

Ginda, I have asparagus plants(males only) within ten feet of the closest
rabbiteye blueberry bush so maybe asparagus is more adaptable to acid soil
than would be predicted. Both are productive but the asparagus gets a lot
more compost and fertilizer because they are by nature, "hongry fer it".
Un-harvested plants get ~7 feet tall and alway lodge late in the season.
There is a volunteer Red Cedar within 2 feet and a Cape Jasmine within 5
feet of some of the asparagus plants.
Asparagus has been a commercial crop here in the past where pines are the
native trees so the soil leans heavily toward the acid side. I have had
problems with chlorosis in some of the rabbiteyes even tho' the soil is in
the 6 pH range.
I'd say give it a rip. Northern blueberries do poorly here but it is
probably due to something else other than soil pH.
Doc in Zone 7/8

  • [NAFEX] Re: off topic - moving plants, longdistshtr, 05/17/2004