nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Carob

  • From: Claude Sweet <hortventures@cox.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Carob
  • Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 19:06:16 -0700

There used to be a planting of about 30 mature carob trees that were planted in Vista, CA. As I recall they were planted in the 1930's to serve a trial various selections for possible commercial development. The quality of the pods was very poor due to the high humidity (the site is within 15 miles of the Pacific ocean).

Most of the efforts for commercial plantings centered in Baja California, but they were not successful do to the fact that they were not irrigated. I don't recall any successful commercial plantings in coastal Southern California.

I saw several large carob trees that were still producing at a private Ag research station in Imperial County on the way to Yuma. It was just off highway 8 and in a sad state of neglect when I stopped by over 10 years ago. They would have had access to plenty of water to irrigate. The dry desert climate would seem to have been ideal except for the late summer and early fall storms that sometimes come up from the Sea of Cortez and damage the date crops in Palm Springs.

Claude Sweet
San Diego, CA

rob hamilton wrote:

Lon do you know of anyone who has tried to cross Carob
with honey locust (assuming it can be crossed)to get
more hardyness out of the carob tree or more pulp from
honey locust?

Robert

--- "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com> wrote:

I used to eat Carob pods regularly and can relate
from experience that it's
the pod itself, not the seed, that is used for carob
powder. The pod is
extremely thick and full of sugars and when dry, is
quite sugary inside,
while the seeds are extremely hard and if not
actually inedible, are so hard
and make up such a small volume compared to the pod,
I can't see using them.
The native Honey Locust is very similar, though it
doesn't have as much
sweet pulp as the carob.
Carob is grown as a street tree in parts of
California, but it takes a
long, dry season to mature the pods well. Any rain
on it when it is mature
and the pods quickly go sour and spoil. I believe
there were (are?) a
couple of commercial growers in southern California,
but it has been a
while, so I don't remember who they are now.

The Carob Tree/Egyptian Thorn, Ceratoria siliqua,
another leguminous tree,
yields seeds from which Carob Powder is derived, is
used as a cocoa
substitute by those seeking to
avoid theobromine and caffeine.

this page (also can be used to change other email
options):

TAKE STEPS TO PROTECT YOURSELF FROM COMPUTER
VIRUSES!
Please do not send binary files.
Use plain text ONLY in emails!

Message archives are here: