nafex - Re: [NAFEX] GMO apples

  • From: Tom Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] GMO apples
  • Date: Fri, 07 May 2004 13:30:07 -0400

Hi,

Two questions...

1) Where is this gene which "encodes for lytic proteins" in malus, coming
from? Is it an isolated malus gene or
one from another plant/animal family?

2) If I stool the rootsock of a GM malus, is that breaking the patent law?
If the GM tree cross pollinates with
another tree that is not GM who owns patent on the seeds? What about "sport"
patent rights on a GM tree?

Cripes! Even heirlooms, long out of patent will fall into a confused cloud
of patent rights.

Later,
Tom