nafex - [NAFEX] (no subject)

  • From: Dale3693@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: Dale3693@aol.com
  • Subject: [NAFEX] (no subject)
  • Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 13:11:37 EDT

Last fall I ran across a "wild" apple tree, back up a canyon about  +/- 7500 ft elv.  It probably was  "planted" by a bear--- they feed on apples in an old orchard (late 1800's) back up another gulch. about 1/4 mile away.  This was an old homestead.  I took this apple to a friend about 10 miles down the line ( nobody lives much up that way) and she tempered the seed and started a couple of seedlings.   I looked everywhere I could for a picture that sort of matched the apple and the nearest I could find was the Caville Blanc.  The apples were excellent as to taste and the tree showed no damage from typical diseases or insect problems. Since the fruit matches nothing else at the old orchard site I assume it might be  an offshoot, i.e. a new variety.

Dale, Colorado, zone4/5

'planted"

  • [NAFEX] (no subject), Dale3693, 05/03/2004