nafex - [NAFEX] heirloom apple trees

  • From: Louisa Rogoff Thompson <louisathompson@erols.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] heirloom apple trees
  • Date: Mon, 03 May 2004 11:36:52 -0400

I'm a landscape designer who emphasizes producing high-quality fruits in the landscape. I have clients who recall apple trees suitable for climbing, though around here (southcentral PA orchard country) all the apple trees are now dwarfs. (Annual pruning makes them look truly deformed.)

Can anyone suggest cultivars of full-size apple trees that would make great flowering trees in the landscape, grow big enough to provide shade and to climb and sit in, and produce tasty apples? They would have to be managed organically. The fruit would not have to look perfect, but would have to taste great. Our biggest disease problem here is scab.

Thank you.
Louisa Thompson
Adams County PA (between Gettysburg and the Blue Ridge)