nafex - [NAFEX] Planting Clonal Rootstock

  • From: "del stubbs" <pinewoodel@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Planting Clonal Rootstock
  • Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 14:09:39 +0000

I just planted out a row of Bud 9 apples that I had grafted last year and held in the nursery bed in our garden. Their roots are so different from the seedling rootstocks (prunifolia and renetka) that I had grafted and planted most of our 5 year old orchard with. The seedling rootstocks are more like an upside down tree, strong and self-supporting as they are planted out. The clonal rootstocks, however come in masses of tiny parrallel fibers. Sometimes one layer at the base, sometimes a second whorl a couple inches up.
Question 1: How important is it to get the individual roots of a clonal rootstock layed out in its own path?
By just throwing dirt around it they all clump together - but they are so fine and tangled it seems rediculously laborious to seperate them, especially if there are a lot to plant.
Any Comments?
Question 2: I prune seedling roots somewhat like I do a tree, how does one prune the masses of little roots of clonal rootstocks?
My thought is to remove half of them right at the base - rather than cutting the tips (thinking of 5 years down the road - and all those tiny roots strangling each other)
thanks, Del
Where today's forcast is for 80F at noon, and Snow at midnight.....
Del Stubbs http://www.pinewoodforge.com ag zone2/3