nafex - [NAFEX] Mulching with Comfrey

  • From: "Djubaya" <Djubaya@catchtail.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Mulching with Comfrey
  • Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 10:36:45 -0700

My method is to plant Comfrey 24-36" away from the base of all my trees.
When it grows to 24" high I cut it to the ground and layer the leaves at
the base of the tree as a mulch.

The Comfrey also helps let me know when I need to water. It will wilt
when the soil is dry to around 8"- 10" deep.

I also plant fava/Red clover/Vetch/Horse Raddish/Mustard & sometimes
Dicon Raddish at the base of most of my trees as well. These plants pull
nutrients and mineral from different levels of the soil, as well as
different types of minerals.

Another easy much system is to spread rock dust on the ground around the
base of the tree (at drip line) then ring the tree with straw bales
about 36" form base of the trunk (4 bales will usually do) then just cut
the strings and walk away. In a year the bales will be almost completely
turned into earthworm castings. To speed up the process of decay add a
few shovels full of compost or rich top soil.

Good luck,

Djubaya

Sonoma County, California. USDA Zone 8