nafex - Re: [NAFEX] mycorrhizal

  • From: Tom Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] mycorrhizal
  • Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 08:10:16 -0400

Hi Bert,

Did you know there was a clonal genebank for mycorrhizal in Canada?  Not sure how they distribute though.

There is also a product called "Myke" in Ontario nurseries.  It is mycorrhizal formulated 3 ways (I can only remember 2); shrubs/trees and vegetables.  It comes in 1 liter tubs I believe.

The problem with all retail mycorrhizal is that you have no idea how effective it is.  Here is a study paper;
http://invam.caf.wvu.edu/otherinfo/commercial/commercial_MIPs.pdf

If I am reading the conclusions properly the best samples tested (direct from supplier) has about 34% of effectiveness.  This is what they say about samples acquired from retail shelves; "That being said, it also is likely that the inoculants tested represent the “best” each company has to offer. They are not products obtained from the shelf after distribution nor from clients. We have conducted a limited number of tests of such product samples, and none show the positive results reported here.  Possible reasons for this disparity are numerous, ranging from problems with storage conditions (heat or organic amendments, for example, accelerate degradation of propagules even when the medium is dry), duration of storage, handling, conditions of application, detrimental conditions during early stages of mycorrhiza formation, etc."

If the genebank will supply you, they may be your best bet.

Later,
Tom

bert dunn wrote:

Good morningLooking for a source in Canada of mycorrhizal.Thanks in advance            Bert Bert Dunn   RR4   Tottenham   Zone 4b
www.hardygrapes.tottenham..on.ca
www.littlefatwino.com/bertslist.html
Think Blending-Not Varietals

_______________________________________________ nafex mailing list  nafex@lists.ibiblio.org **YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST!** All other messages are discarded. No exceptions.   ---- To subscribe or unsubscribe, go to the bottom of this page (also can be used to change other email options): http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex File attachments are NOT stripped by this list TAKE STEPS TO PROTECT YOURSELF FROM COMPUTER VIRUSES! Please do not send binary files. Use plain text ONLY in emails! Message archives are here: https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/nafex NAFEX web site:   http://www.nafex.org/

--
Thomas Olenio
Ontario, Canada