nafex - RE: [NAFEX] wolfberry

  • From: "Mark Lee" <markl@nytec.com>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] wolfberry
  • Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 09:57:48 -0700

I am growing wolfberry in Seattle.  I started it from seed 2 years ago, from JL Hudson.  It is starting to leaf out now after being dormant all winter.  No experience with it fruiting yet.  Maybe that will happen this year.  It survived last year with no care at all (no watering, no feeding), and the plant ended up looking pretty starved.  I’m giving it more attention now.  Looking at my notes, I see the leaves are supposed to have a peppermint scent.  In Japan the leaves are used to flavor rice.  Use with caution though, since many plants in this family have toxins in the leaves.

-Mark Lee, Seattle zone 7B/8A