nafex - [NAFEX] Lawson's Nursery; Was ornamental crab sources

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: Anton Callaway <marillen@earthlink.net>, North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Lawson's Nursery; Was ornamental crab sources
  • Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 08:56:16 -0500

At 04:31 AM 4/13/2004 -0400, Anton wrote:

I don't have Jim Lawson's latest catalog, but several edible ornamental crabs are listed in last year's catalog (I didn't see 'Callaway', but he probably offers it some years). Jim's wife did pass away in 2002, but as far as know, the nursery is being continued with the help of their daughter & her husband. The nursery can be reached at 770-893-2141.
Sorry to hear of Bernice Lawson's passing. I'd spoken with her on the phone several times, and she was as kind and helpful as is Mr. Lawson. Nice folks, and Jim will tell you, at least in his opinion & experience, what's worth growing and what's not, despite what may be in his catalog description. Glad to hear they're still in business. I've been pleased with the trees I've gotten from them in the past.
They used to offer 'Craven Crab' which sounded very interesting to me, and I guess I need to make plans to get one next year - It's evidently a regional (north GA) selection, and I've never seen it offered anywhere else, other than as scionwood from Joyce Neighbors.

I don't have much experience with growing crabs, but may have some useful info on a couple of sources...
Johnson's Nursery sells 'Callaway' crabapples, but is sold out this year. If you are planning for next year, they can be reached at:
http://www.johnsonnursery.com/FRUIT%20PAGES/APPLES.htm

Lucky Pittman
Hopkinsville, KY
USDA zone 6 - where I woke to 2" of heavy, wet, sloppy snow, and more falling heavily. Slick roads, cars off in the ditch. Bradford pears splitting all over town.
They're calling for 60 degrees tomorrow, and 78 by the end of the week.

  • [NAFEX] Lawson's Nursery; Was ornamental crab sources, Lucky Pittman, 04/13/2004