nafex - Re: [NAFEX] pears & fireblight

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: Anton Callaway <marillen@earthlink.net>, North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] pears & fireblight
  • Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 16:49:57 -0500

At 05:36 PM 4/12/2004 -0400, Anton wrote:
Cultivars to stay away from include: Buerre Superfin, Bartlett, Belle Lucrative, Monterrey, Clapp's Favorite & sports, Harvest Queen, Carrick, Duchess.

I'll second the caution about Clapp's - I've got one in my orchard. Produced nicely for a couple of years, then FB ate it alive - I pruned out well over half of the 7-yr old tree that year, just trying to stay ahead of it. It's alive but it looks like heck; another attack and it's gone, to be replaced by something more resistant.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY