nafex - [NAFEX] propagating Evans Cherry

  • From: Bernie Nikolai <BNikolai@shaw.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] propagating Evans Cherry
  • Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2004 22:14:08 -0700

Dr. Evans has planted many hundreds/thousands of Evans cherry seeds.  Almost without exception the plant that grows from the seed is weak, spindly, and inferior to the parent.  This is strange as it is self fruitful, and the seedlings should in theory be about as good as the parent.  Evans cherry grafts very readily to just about any prunus.  Its just that it dies over the winter almost 100% of the time, at least here in zone 3.  Pin cherry has allowed Evans to survive for 3 or 4 years, but eventually this dies as well.  Almost all Evans cherry sold is tissue cultured, so root cuttings will produce an Evans cherry bush just fine.  They transplant best when only a foot to 18 inches tall if you are cutting root suckers off the mother tree
Bernie Nikolai
Edmonton, Alberta.