nafex - Re: [NAFEX] prickly pear

  • From: "Joe Boles" <jo.bo@rogers.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] prickly pear
  • Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 15:37:21 -0400

Louisa:

Prickly pears do grow in Florida. I've picked them and eaten them from the
side of Highway 1 just north of Datona Beach while on holidays on several
occasions. They were only 1/3 the size of those that are sold in the super
market but the taste was more intense. The fruit was a deep purple color. I
have two different sepcies growing at my summer property; one is native to
that area (zone 3) very spiny; the other is quite a small species, pads are
only 1 inch long. The small species I transplanted from British Columbia
near Kelona. I've never had fruit on either of them.

Joe Boles
Mississauga, ON