nafex - [NAFEX] Re: Need opinions on the quality of these new trees

  • From: Uwillard@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Re: Need opinions on the quality of these new trees
  • Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 08:53:36 EDT

Jerry,

In the considerable reading I have done on the subject of fruit tree planting, almost every source says to put the graft union no more than 3 to 4 inches above the ground. So I figured it was important, although the only reason I can recall for this is to prevent too much suckering from the rootstock. None of these sources talk about what to do with high graft unions. Hearing your perspective makes me relax a bit - thanks!

Uma