nafex - [NAFEX] post-grafting sun protection

  • From: Thomas Beckett <thomas@tbeckett.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] post-grafting sun protection
  • Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 13:35:56 -0500

Hello NAFEXers -

I just finished grafting and potting 40-some apples last weekend. I am concerned about protecting the graft union from sun damage. How much protection is needed? Right now I have them under my open-sided carport so they are constantly in shade but receive ambient sunlight. I'm concerned that this isn't enough sunlight to convince the buds to break, and so forth. Is a little morning sun exposure safe? I could move them so that they only get a few hours direct sun in the a.m. Or should they be out in the full sun with little aluminum foil aprons?

Thanks in advance for your collective wisdom.

Thomas Beckett
Durham, NC