nafex - Re: [NAFEX] weepy actinidia arguta (hardy kiwi)

  • From: Sam Franc <franc@oregonfast.net>
  • To: sbrandle@css.tayloru.edu, North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] weepy actinidia arguta (hardy kiwi)
  • Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 21:13:10 -0800

Stefan Brandle wrote:

Was doing some pruning today and noticed that one of the kiwi canes was a bit weepy, sort of like what you see on peach trees at times. It wasn't black, wasn't lumpy, rather like one patch of the cane had had a bit of water rubbed on it that hadn't dried. I decided to whack the cane to be safe, but got to wondering. Bacterial type problem?

I had not previously noted any problems with them. Other than a mildish problem with Japanese beetles who nibble on them when they get bored with roses, hollyhocks, and some other favorites.

By the way, it is "actinidia" or "actinidea"? I've seen it both ways.

You have to prune when they are really dormant.
If not they weep all over the place.
Sam