nafex - Re: [NAFEX] peach cuttings made to root

  • From: Anton Callaway <marillen@earthlink.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] peach cuttings made to root
  • Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 11:35:35 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

I can believe that young rooted cuttings with poorly established root systems
would be more susceptible to winter injury & death than larger plants. It
also makes sense that due to the greater genetic variation among scion
cultivars compared to rootstocks in a typical orchard, that some cultivars
would have more cold-susceptible roots than say, Siberian C or some other
peach rootstock chosen for hardiness.

However, all of my experiences with own-rooted peaches have been positive. I
studied under the guidance of some of the leaders in own-rooted peaches, as
well as propagated and planted some in my own orchard. Using semi-hardwood
cuttings and a proper misting bench (and application of high IBA
concentrations), rooting is near 100%. If you cut corners from any of these
areas, the percentage of rooting drops dramatically. Field performance is
often superior to budded trees in most major aspects- with the caveat that
all my experience is in milder climates, so hardiness may be a disadvantage-
though I suspect that really the problem is not growing the trees to
sufficient size before setting them in the Northern orchards.

Furthermore, the professors that I worked with were not stereotypical
academics- they really cared about and rigorously tested field performance.
They had close contacts with commercial growers in their respective
countries. All in all, I am convinced that self-rooted peaches are a
valuable additional tool in peach production and should not be dismissed as
an academic exercise.

Anyone interested in references or receipes, please contact me on or
off-list.

Anton
Zone 8