nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Blackberry fruits that are white or won't developfully

  • From: "Brungardt, Sam" <Sam.Brungardt@state.mn.us>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Blackberry fruits that are white or won't developfully
  • Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 11:37:17 -0600

Thanks for your observations, Jim. Your comments led me to use some
different terms in my Google search and I found the answers. Overhead
watering could indeed play a role, since water setting on the berries and
exposed to strong sunlight and high temperatures will become overheated.

This morning I happened across a source
(http://www.ppdl.purdue.edu/ppd/expert/Blackberries.html) that mentioned
"blond" drupelets on blackberries. It said several causal agents have been
implicated as the cause. One is sunburn or sunscald from UV radiation and
exposure to high temperatures. Another possible cause is feeding by tarnished
plant bugs.

Chapter 2 of the "Midwest Small Fruit Pest Management Handbook"
(http://ohioline.osu.edu/b861/b861_34.html) says, "Malformed berries or
failed druplets result from tarnished plant bug feeding on mature
fruit....Other plant bug species and stink bugs can cause similar damage."

As to what causes berries that never mature properly, cause is sunburn (and
this makes sense, since these small, hard berries on my 'Illini Hardy' plants
are at the end of the floricanes, where the foliage is sparse.) One source
(http:extension.oregonstate.edu/news/story.php?S_No=580&storyType=garden&cmd=pf)
said about sunburn: "In blackberries, the dark colored fruits absorb heat,
especially on the sun-exposed side. When sunburned, droplets [sic] of
trailing varieties can become red and soft and taste overripe. But they are
still edible. In erect varieties of blackberries, the fruit may become hard
and dried, rendering them inedible."

Sam Brungardt, Saint Paul, Minn. (USDA Zone 4b)