nafex - [NAFEX] Grafting and Grafting Cuts

  • From: Console G4 <b.cannon@worldnet.att.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Grafting and Grafting Cuts
  • Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 12:49:16 -0500

Hi Jason,

From time to time I teach grafting and have found that practice will
make better if not perfect. Since many of us only have few valuable trees and don't want to willy-nilly hack away at them with our knives I do the following.

Before students start working on the rootstocks at hand we use cuttings for practice. Practice cuttings can be from a seedling of the species we want to work with or any similar plant. I do try and use wood of a similar texture and maturity to the plants my students hope to succeed with. Since I work with mostly sub tropicals like mango citrus and avocado our methods differ a little from temperate climate species (grafting wax is almost unused in warm areas of Florida and the tropics).

After making 6-12 practice runs students begin to feel some confidence in their abilities.

Best of growing,

Bob
SW Florida USA

ps: I have a grafting kit available that beginners and more advanced grafters find useful information is on my site at:
http://www.quisqualis.com/forsale.html