nafex - [NAFEX] Black currant bans

  • From: dwoodard@becon.org
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Black currant bans
  • Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 13:16:49 -0500 (EST)

I haven't heard of any black currant bans in Canada, although I can't
claim to be perfectly informed. I've never seen any mention of anything
of the kind in cultivar discussions, or Government of Canada or Ontario
cultivar recommendations. I did encounter several years ago a
statement that Canadian forestry officials had decided not to press for
such a ban because the wild gooseberries were also hosts, and they
were so widespread as to be impossible to eradicate.

This may also be the reason why breeding of WPBR resistant black currants
was not carried further, although budget problems and priorities may also
have been a factor.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario