nafex - [NAFEX] Re: Black currant improvement – Kevin Bradley

  • From: Ribes60@aol.com
  • To: Nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Re: Black currant improvement – Kevin Bradley
  • Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 22:25:51 EST

Re: Black currant improvement – Kevin Bradley

Black currants fall into two general groups, those that are used for commercial juicing and others. Almost all can be used for making jam, jelly, pies, wine, dessert toppings, meat sauces, cassis, syrups and home made juices. Currants for commercial juicing need to meet specific characteristics for that juicer. Most commercial juicers will not mix varieties as almost any change changes the flavor of the end product. One is not necessarily better that another but they are different and commercial processors strive for consistency. This is similar to cider makers that want to use the same blend of apples so that the cider tastes the same.

The two most commonly used black currants for commercial juicing is Titania and Ben Lomand. I have consumed juice made from each and they are very good. I personally think that Ribena (from Ben Lomand) is the best that I have tasted. Smith, Kline Beechum underwrites the black currant research done by the Scottish Research Institute, and now there may be other varieties that are used. In the past, Beechum would not accept any other berries. I have tasted juices from a number of countries and sources, I like all of them but they are different.

Kevin, I seriously doubt that you could discern  the difference in home products made by different cultivars. The end product is the result of a blend of all the ingredients moreso than the flavor of black currant fruit. If you like what you have, by all means, stick with it.

Breeding for taste is high on the list of characteristics we strive for. The selections that we make must be better than what is now available on the market. They must be resistant to WPBR and Powdery Mildew, they must meet out subjective taste testing and must have fairly high yields. The secondary characteristics include plant size, shape and habit, time of bloom, time of ripening and size of fruit.

  • [NAFEX] Re: Black currant improvement – Kevin Bradley, Ribes60, 03/03/2004