nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Cider apples and scion exchange in Oregon

  • From: "Joe Hecksel" <jhecksel@voyager.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Cider apples and scion exchange in Oregon
  • Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 13:37:52 -0500

> I'm going to be around Portland later this week and
> could make it to this event. However, the only thing
> I could rationalize acquiring would be a great cider
> apple.
> (a) is there likely to be cider apple scionwood
> available?
> (b) what is the best cider apple, if you could only
> put in one tree specifically for cider? I seem to
> remember seeing a reference to one that had the
> balance of sweet/sharp/bitter/aromatics, but I wasn't
> able to find the reference.

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/andrew_lea/content2.htm
This site is about *hard* cider. You do not specify hard or
unfermented.

Mr Lea's lives in Great Britain and his climate is likely to be
different than yours. For what it is worth, he seems to really like
Dabinett for both tree and fruit characteristics.

Best of luck
-Joe

> Lisa in Ashland Oregon
> USDA Zone 7, Sunset Zone 7, 1800'
>
> --- "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com> wrote:
> > Bring some to the Home Orchard Society scion
> > exchange. That's this
> > Saturday, March 6, at the Clackamas country
> > fairgrounds in Canby, Oregon.
> > See http://www.homeorchardsociety.org
> > -Lon Rombough

be used to change other email options):