nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Persimmon Question

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Persimmon Question
  • Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 06:57:54 -0800

Title: Re: [NAFEX] Persimmon Question
Most American persimmons have male and female flowers on separate trees.  However, Early Golden and a number of it's relatives have the ability to produce limbs of male flowers on female trees.  To complicate things, there are male trees that are able to produce small, seedless fruit, and a very few, like Szukis and Jim Claypool's F-100 that can produce female and perfect flowers on male trees.  Jim Claypool first found this phenomenon and Jerry Lehman and others in the Indiana Nut Growers have been working to use this trait to try to produce American persimmons with perfect flowers.
-Lon Rombough
Grapes, writing, consulting, my book, The Grape Grower, at http://www.bunchgrapes.com
Winner of the Garden Writers Association "Best Talent in Writing" award for 2003

    American Persimmon (Diospyros virginiàna) has imperfect flowers, some staminate, some pistulate.  What my source doesn't tell me is whether the male and female flowers are on the same plant or are there male plants and female plants.  Would someone help me out on this please?
Thanks,
Jim Fruth