nafex - [NAFEX] Speaking of choke cherries

  • From: "philip sauber" <mrtejas@lycos.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Speaking of choke cherries
  • Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 11:22:33 -0600

I have fond memories from my childhood eating choke cherry jelly and syrup at
my grandmother's house in western Montana. The chokecherries grew wild
everywhere on the river banks. It makes jelly very easily as the level of
pectin is very high. My grandmother didn't use pectin, she just boiled until
it made jelly. If it didn't jell, it was syrup. I believe the "choke" in
the name is from the high pectin levels. They certainly aren't edible fresh,
about like an unripe persimmon.