nafex - [NAFEX] Ranetka Crab seeds

  • From: ernestplutko@netscape.net
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Ranetka Crab seeds
  • Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 11:34:26 -0500

I have six Ranetka Crab trees grown from rootstocks.  I planted the
rootstocks about ten years ago and the trees are at least 20 feet high.
Ranetka is perfectly hardy here on the Minnesota-Ontario border and I never
seen the slightest sign of winter injury.  Thr apples are bitter and vary in
size between the trees from about 16 millimeters to about 36 millimeters.
All apples on each tree are about the same size.  The apples hang on the
trees all Winter and birds start eating the apples in late Winter.  I
collected seeds yesterday and put them in the refrigerator on wet paper
towels in a plastic box.  I am wondering if apple seeds will germinate after
hanging on the tree in 40 below temperatures.  I have easily germinated
Ranetka seeds from apples taken in the fall and kept in the refrigerator.

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.