nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Black locust & Alder.

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Black locust & Alder.
  • Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 13:22:51 -0800

Title: Re: [NAFEX] Black locust & Alder.
Oregon Red alder has very little tendency to sucker or root sprout.  Here, it has been found to clear the soil of a disease that attacks Douglas fir.
-Lon Rombough

Have you considered growing Alder?  Black Locust and Alder both offer nitrogen fixing benefits.  I know Locust is considered hard and blade dulling, would alder be soft enough to work?
Charlie Paradise

About 15 years ago the Indiana Nut Growers planted a seven acre nut experimental orchard. We planted Black Locust and European Alder as a nurse crop. We are still trying to kill of the last of them. The root systems are very hardy. I'm not saying don't do it, just be forewarned.