nafex - [NAFEX] wood working, osage and water tables

  • From: "Peter Knop" <knop@erols.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] wood working, osage and water tables
  • Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 00:54:35 -0500

Lon, ordered the bookA Reverence For Wood" in a three vol in one edition
including early tools and something else - many thanks!! Very curious to see
wha it looks like!! For all you woodworkers out there, this sounds like just
the book - one vol is all about the tools used, the other is about trees and
the wood and its uses, and the third I don't remember.
Water tables - we have VERY HIGH (12 to 18" INCHES) water table on our
farm, BUT, if one pokes around a little, one finds well drained sites -
small usually - most are old volcanic vents, so in two feet it goes from
high water table to gosh only knows where it is - 60 feet in one place where
we drilled a well.
So the advice to dig some holes and check everything is very good. ALSO, we
have used tiling to drain some fields - not very good in clay soils - 5 year
life and vastly expensive. Can also use a subsoiler which helps drainage a
lot and is cheap (tiles are NOT). Subsoilers do not work well in clay, in
fact, don't work at all. Suggestions for running a ditch from spring is also
good - m ight cure problem if it is only a spring and not a high water
table. Digging holes around can tell you that. We often take our post hole
driller on the tractor, drill a bunch of holes (3 feet), then wait for the
next big rain to fill them all up and see how quickly they drain (IF they
drain or don't fill up with water right away)