nafex - RE: [NAFEX] GM plants, corn , court cases

  • From: "tanis cuff" <tanistanis@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] GM plants, corn , court cases
  • Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 23:37:46 +0000

For 1), there HAS been such a case, probably more than one, but Monsanto only needed 1 or 2 cases to terrorize the helpless. Thought I had a link or something in one of my email folders, but no. I think it was, technically, "patent infringement". Sorry I can't be more helpful. If you are really NEEDING this info, and no one else can supply it, I'm acquainted with a patent/copyright attorney...

For 2), I think the debate runs along the logic of "does our artificial breaking & recombining of genetic material follow the same 'rules' as naturally occurring mutations, and are we pushing the envelop re which of those changes makes it into the gene pool ?"
Sweet corn: I know that the breeders working on those hybrids are super-careful (for "super-sweet") to be sure of their isolation. Once the seed is released, for the market, it's up to the growers to be sure of their own isolations. Would have been interesting to see some court cases on this !!

tc