nafex - RE: [NAFEX] bayberry

  • From: "Mark Lee" <markl@nytec.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] bayberry
  • Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 17:59:11 -0800

I think it is probably Myrica rubra (Japanese Bayberry). This is a zone 10
subtropical plant. Here is a link to a picture:
http://community.webshots.com/photo/16152372/16604912CTOGpANgPc

Another link
http://www.actahort.org/books/321/321_10.htm
says..."Its abundant juice plus a high sugar content in a good balance with
moderate acids makes the fruit a delicious taste. It is also rich in
vitamins content. In addition to fresh consumption, the fruit can also be
processed into sweets, jam, juice and wine, or canned in syrup. "

-Mark Lee, Seattle