nafex - [NAFEX] Spur Pruning vs. Cane Pruning

  • From: "Scott Williamson" <swilliamson@acespower.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Spur Pruning vs. Cane Pruning
  • Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 08:00:13 -0500

Title: Re: [NAFEX] Bluebell: Not so great table grape.
I've been reading Lon's book The Grape Grower (which btw is very informative and well written) and had a question for Lon or anyone else who might have knowledge on the subject.  In the section on varieties it mentions that some should be can pruned and some should be spur pruned.  I can assume that got the best results, but I was wondering if anyone knew why that is or what results I could expect if I did the opposite.  Specifically I'm looking at Reliance and its mention of cane pruning.  Might the best choice vary depending on climate, etc.?

Thanks,
Scott
Indiana Zone 5b