nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Apples with High Specific Gravity

  • From: Joe and Ellen Hecksel <jhecksel@voyager.net>
  • To: Three Hills Farm <organic@threehillsfarm.com>, North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Apples with High Specific Gravity
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 13:53:57 -0500

Three Hills Farm wrote:

Hey folks. . .

I was wondering if anyone on the list may have compiled a list in the past of the apples with the highest specific gravity. I'd like to add a few more cultivars to the orchard and am probably missing a few great ones. What other apples are in the same high specific gravity category as Wickson, Golden Russet, Golden Harvey, Rubinette, Parmar, Florina & Wismer's Dessert? Any suggestions?

Hi John A Gasbarre:

Click on the following links. Grab the slider bar and go to the bottom of the data set. Discard any soluble solids values above 100%.

http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/html/dno_eval_acc.pl?115156+492154+214
http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/html/dno_eval_acc.pl?115156+492354+182
http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/html/dno_eval_acc.pl?115156+490694+414
http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/html/dno_eval_acc.pl?115156+492159+283

The ARS database does have some pre-assembled histograms, including soluble solids. Unfortunately, there are a few bogus values that make the "bin size" useless, so you have to click about 8 more times to get the data you want.

Standard disclaimer: One data point, taken in another person's orchard with an unknown crop load may be useful but is not definitive.

John A Gasbarre
Three Hills Farm
Union, Maine USA
organic@threehillsfarm.com <mailto:organic@threehillsfarm.com>