nafex - Re: [NAFEX] rooting gooseberries

  • From: Ribes60@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] rooting gooseberries
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 20:36:09 EST

Glen Dales generally root pretty well, take the cuttings well before they break bud - if they have started to break bud they are MUCH more difficult to root, Use wood that grew in the previous year, make your cut right at the growth ring and stick through black plastic so that the cutting is about 3 to 6  inches into the ground with about the same above ground. I am in PA  zone 5/6 (definately 5 this year) and I would stick the cuttings about March 1st. Do not take them out until they are growing well in the fall, leaf activity is not assurance of root growth. Do not use any fertilization until you are sure that they are actively growing.

They also will root easily if layer them, scrape the underside of the cane to break the bark, bend the branct over and weight it down with a brick. Bend the tip upward so the the plant is growing more upright and keep the bend well covered with soil and keep moist.

Ed Mashburn