nafex - [NAFEX] from seed

  • From: <rooting@hortus.com>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>, <list@ginda.us>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [NAFEX] from seed
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 18:12:11 -0500

You do not say what the objectives are of your childs project.
>From the standpoint of school plant growing projects we have used the
Wisconsin Fast Plants.
You might want to discuss this with the teacher.

The plants go from seed to flower to seed in a cycle of about three weeks.
" Fast Plants (scientific name: Brassica rapa) are rapid-cycling brassicas.
They are members of the crucifer family of plants, closely related to
cabbage, turnips, broccoli and other cruciferous vegetables. Bred for over
30 years at the University of Wisconsin - Madison by Professor Paul H.
Williams, Fast Plants today require little more attention than continuous
fluorescent light, water, and fertilizer. The seeds that you grow in your
classroom can be immediately planted or stored for up to 10 years in a
refrigerator. "

We obtain our seeds from Carolina Biological Supply http://www.carolina.com
. If you order on line there is no minimum order and they have no shipping
charges. You can also follow their links for a fantastic collection of high
quality educational projects for PK-12 and beyond.

Also see the several pages listed at
http://www.carolina.com/how_do_I/classroom_activities.asp
see the section on Fast Plants near the bottom of the page.
http://www.carolina.com/fastplants/default.asp

regards
Joel

On Jan 15, 2004, at 1:30 PM, Tom Olenio wrote:

>Hello,
>
>My son is doing a school project. What is the easiest fruit to grow from
>seed, found in the
>supermarket, that produces the nicest plant and does it reliably?
>
>Thanks,
>Tom

  • [NAFEX] from seed, rooting, 01/16/2004