nafex - Re: [NAFEX] pear trees for Austin, Texas

  • From: "Dr. Ethan Natelson" <natelson@pipeline.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] pear trees for Austin, Texas
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 05:25:43 -0600

Dear Drew,

I would think your estimate of 650 average chill hours for Austin is on the low side. It probably is closer to 800 hours. There is no reason to plant varieties such as Orient and Pineapple, which are not of high quality. Not far from Austin, in Llano, Dr. Tullos had established a successful Asian pear orchard with Shin Li, Ya Li and Shinko as his primary cultivars. Varieties such as Ayers, should work well in Austin. Probably you would do best by contacting the local extension agent (s) to see what people are planting. Texas A&M would probably not be of help since they have never had a serious interest in pears, as they have had in peaches, for example. You might contact Travis Callahan, who is the chair of the Southern Pear group for NAFEX. He could direct you to members of this group located in your area who could offer suggestions. Travis identified the Southern Bartlett pear which would do well in your location as would Leona.

Regards, Ethan